Saturday, October 31, 2009

Surrounded by Greatness, or When I Grow Up

I feel like I'm surrounded by greatness on so many levels. I made a list of lots of people I want to be like in some way or another, and was going to abbreviate them for only me to know, then I decided even that wasn't necessary. I know who my greats are, you should all get your own.

I want to be a spouse like...
I want to be a parent like...
I want to be a leader like....
I want to be wise like...
I want to be a homemaker like...
I want to be caring like...
I want to be a listener like...
I want to be a declutterer like...
I want to be a thinker like...
I want to study like...
I want to be politically knowledgeable like...
I want to build greatness in others like...

I have two or three people for most of those, sometimes more.

It would be a whole lot easier if I didn't know so many great and amazing people. I know we're not supposed to compare ourselves to others, but they say that the only way to bring someone to a higher level is to be higher yourself. So here are all these people at some higher level than me, and I feel like I'm slowly working my way up the mountain at every opportunity to join them, taking every chance I can to rub shoulders with them and learn from them.

Maybe bit by bit I'm picking up little pebbles (maybe even sometimes a gem or two) to add to myself. And maybe someday I'll be a knoll, or maybe even a small hill that someone else could look up to for something.

Dallin H. Oaks once said, "In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to knowsomething, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something."

I love looking for the greatness in other people. There is so much out there, people striving to do more and be more at whatever they are. I feel like there is something admirable in everyone, even if sometimes you have to look a little closer for it. More and more I see why it's such a terrible thing for people to hide their candle under a bushel, when it could be giving light to all those around them.

Even more exciting, I love watching the greatness growing in my children, seeing them come into the gifts God has blessed them with. I can't wait to see who they become.

P.S. Lest you think me wise already with the whole pebble/mountain thing, a hill or mountain of pebbles really would be a terrible thing to climb up, don't you think? So it's really a very silly analogy.

P.P.S. The song "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" just gained a whole new meaning for me. I'm going to look just like this someday when I get there.


P.P.P.S. By the way, Maria wasn't anywhere near 'there' at this point in the movie, really just beginning on her climb. (See, more faulty wisdom.)

5 comments:

  1. I will do my best to counter balance everyone else's greatness by being an average Todd. Someone has to keep balance in the universe, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you! And I always love your perspective on things and how well you write. Someday....
    I love that talk by Dallin H. Oaks, The Challenge to Become, (I'm assuming that it the one you are quoting from.) It is my all-time fav. and the talk that helped me get out of complacency and begin my conversion process. (And my quest for truth.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl - that's the one!

    Todd - that reminds me.
    I want a sweet ride like... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Maria was imagining herself there wasn't she? That's where I'm at, in the imagination stage.

    Some day I want to see the goodness in others like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to have vision like Marni.

    ReplyDelete