Sunday, December 9, 2012

Scripture Gems

When reading my scriptures, I love coming across little "ooooh, I like that!" verses.  Thank goodness for cool apps like Citation Index where I can immediately look it up and see how church leaders have referenced it.  There are three I've found with zero commentary.

Alma 44:5 mentions "the sacred support which we owe to our wives and our children."  The first time I read that, I had to sit and think about sacred support for a long time.  Love that idea.  And actually, while googling for the scripture reference (call me lazy), I found this BYU-Idaho talk about it.

Genesis 24 gives the story of Abraham sending his servant to find a wife for Isaac.  After being inspired with the plan to ask for water where the right woman will give water not only for him but his camels, he finds Rebekah.  In verse 27 the servant makes the comment that "I being in the way, the Lord led me to the house of my Master's brethren."  Wonderful reminder that when we are doing what we are supposed to, "being in the way," we will be led.  I can easily say that for myself, "I being in the way, the Lord led me" many, many times.

Genesis 32:10 is another.  Not only did Abraham receive great revelations and talk with God (Abraham 3:11), but so did Isaac (Genesis 26:2), and so did Jacob (Genesis 35:7).  Jacob's humility is a great example as he prays about his concern that Esau is coming to wipe him and his family out.

My friend, Mary, just posted about another ultra beautiful one on her blog with no citations - Abraham 2:16.

By the way, Jamie recently gave our family a challenge to read the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Jesus the Christ in one year.  My initial reaction was something out of a horror film, fast shallow breathing, rapid heart rate.  "I don't have time for that!!!!!"  (Though I never really said that, I was screaming it inside.)  When I looked closer at the first week, it was 3 chapters a day.  Pshaw!  That's nothing!  (For some weeks, especially since week 2 ended up being more than that...)  I have determined that even if I'm behind, I'm still going to stick with the weeks.  My main goal is to do the OT, D&C, and JtC, since we're already reading the BoM as a family.  Not that I don't like the NT, but I read the first four books within the last year or two, though I do want to work harder on the NT when it gets past those.  I'm especially enjoying the OT so far.  Who knew?  I think going through this book about the House of Israel helped immensely.  Plus, while reading the BoM with the family I'm noticing more references to those covenants.  Pretty interesting.

LOVE THE SCRIPTURES!

1 comment:

  1. I love that phrase: "being in the way..." I think the challenge is knowing when we are being "in the way" of the Lord and when we are just coasting along, being driven by the winds of chance :). Sometimes it feels hard to tell, but I guess if we have peace, we will know, right? Thanks for sharing!

    And good luck with that challenge! I can relate to your initial shock :). I had a hard enough time considering the Book of Mormon challenge a couple years ago, but I admire your attitude and focus on specific goals...

    ...sounds S.M.A.R.T. :)

    ReplyDelete