Friday, April 12, 2013

Light

"That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day." --D&C 50:24

My super incredibly inspired visiting teacher mentioned that scripture while visiting a couple days ago, and we discussed a bit about light, enough to get thoughts on it tumbling around in my head, enough that I had to get out of bed and get them on here.

I know people that are "light."  Everything about them is beautiful.  They are loving.  They are peaceful.  They serve.  They care.  They lift.  They don't complain, almost like they are so busy looking out that they don't notice.  To me, they are my personal vision of Moroni 7:48, "Pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him" (italics added).

One person I quickly think of was Sammy's 2nd grade teacher.  I've never seen a teacher care more than she did.   She spent extra time with him, less for academic reasons, and more to lift him and minister to his needs.  She is still deep in his heart (and mine), and when my 14 year old boy sees her, he still goes out of his way to hug her.  A couple years ago she became the principal at a school two of my relatives teach at.  Last Thanksgiving I asked one of them if she's a good principal.  "I love her," he said emphatically, and his face was lighter talking about the ways she has blessed the school.

Which makes me think about another principle of light.  A candle can give and give and give light to other candles, and nothing is ever taken away from it.  Its light is always the same.  She is an excellent example of that, spreading light almost effortlessly everywhere she goes.  It isn't her great knowledge or her resources that she shares (though I'm sure she could), but her heart.

Blessing others effortlessly reminds me again of the Savior.   A woman was healed, just by touching His clothing!

I am thankful to know many others, and I'm always seeking for more.  Interestingly enough, I've met many through different types of service Jamie or I have been involved with, church or otherwise.  From my observations, it seems to me that people willing to give a lot of time in service have more light.  Maybe that is part of the nature of the thing.  A single candle not willing to share its light (if candles had a will to decide), doesn't make the room any brighter that it's lone flame.  Likewise with a candle only sharing selectively, rather than sharing and giving freely.


Laying in bed I had a few other scriptures tumbling around in my mind that go along beautifully with this principle of light, though they don't directly mention light:

"If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."  --Article of Faith 13

Doesn't that just feel light?

"But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." --Moroni 7:13

I still remember a lesson on light when I was in seminary.  We started class by reading D&C 88:6-13, then shared our light with one another by bearing testimony.  Here is just a portion of that scripture:

"Which truth shineth.  This is the light of Christ.  As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made . . . And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings . . . The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed."

Love is light.  "And there was no contention in the land, because of the love of God which did dwell in the hearts of the people. " -- 4 Nephi 1:15  Those people had seen the Savior, had been around Him, were blessed by Him, and were taught by Him.  His love and light was so clear in their minds, that it directed their actions in such a way that there was no contention.  To be even more specific, "There were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of laciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God" (v. 16, italics added).

Any of your own thoughts on light you'd like to share?

(Thanks, incredibly inspired visiting teacher, for getting me thinking about light.)

No comments:

Post a Comment