Monday, April 7, 2008

Mothers

Our book club is reading "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson this month. Nothing against Jane, but I hadn't read it before now because I worry that books like that are more fluff and back patting than anything. I already enjoy being a mother, so I really don't need anything like that.

The doctrine in this book has been exciting and wonderful. One favorite quote so far (there are many) is from Elder Neal A. Maxwell.

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?"


I wonder about the greatness and leadership and love placed in the hearts of some, and the prejudices and hatred placed in the hearts of others, guiding both to act according to the things they had been taught. Was it because of a mother?

The hand that rocks the cradle
Is the hand that rocks the world.
--G.S. Weaver


I was going to share some disturbing quotes in the news I've read recently about how gender isn't important, but I'm not. Still, it is another testimony to me of prophets that the Proclamation on the Family was given to prepare us for things to come and that it has been taught so much since, that it declares that gender is important, and that mothers and fathers have their own divinely designated roles and responsibilites to fulfill.

Maybe I'll write more on this another day. It's already been sitting on my screen for 3 days waiting to add more, but the children keep calling, and I (usually) love to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment