Friday, April 4, 2008

April is National Poetry Month

I learned about poetry month from Farm School a few days ago, so I'm keeping my eyes open for poetry to share with the kids. Yesterday during our morning devotional I read the kids this poem that I found in one of our library books.

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

--William Carlos Williams


They had me read it three or four times, they thought it was so funny. The simplicity tickled them, and they enjoyed the wording, especially "and so cold."

We also read Oliphaunt (at the bottom of that link) by J. R. R. Tolkien and The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

The Farm School post lists a bunch of poetry sites and talks about the poem "Keep A Poem in Your Pocket." Periwinkles and Pines has a cute poetry post on clouds, including a few other poetry links.

3 comments:

  1. Happy National Poetry Month, Marni, and thanks so much for the mention!

    The Barefoot poetry book is one of our favorites, both for the poems and the gorgeous illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite poet is Billy Collins, for a laugh read his poem The Revenent, and every mom should read the poem The Lanyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Marni!

    Jus stopped by to say tag your it!

    Come by my blog to see the rules!

    ReplyDelete