Friday, May 14, 2010

We are the Staff

This is a song we've sang as a staff every year I've been to Wood Badge. I was going to share it with the staff I get to work with this year and went searching online to see if I had all the words right, but came up with nothing! I have no idea where the song came from, who wrote it, or where it started. But I thought I would get it online in case anyone else happened to go looking for it.

WE ARE THE STAFF

We are the staff of Gilwell Troop 1.
We do the work while you have the fun.
We answer questions by the score,
You stay up late to think up more.
We get up early, work hard all day.
You stay up late then come out to play.
What a gravy train you have,
At the expense of, at the expense of,
At the expense of staff!

I have no "this is to the tune of..." tips, so if you'd like to learn it as I learned it, get me your e-mail address and we'll work something out.

And for fun, a few Wood Badge staff pictures.


What can I say, they love me!


Launching water balloons


You can find me since I've got a blue cow blanket keeping the baby (then Erin) warm.


Always follow your Scoutmaster's example (staff jackets are inside out, hats on backwards).


I have no idea who this is...


...or this.

Maybe the flipped version of the "We are the Staff" song (sung towards the end of the week) is appropriate:

We are the staff of Gilwell Troop 1.
You do the work while we have the fun!
You answer questions by the score,
We stay up late to think up more.
You get up early, work hard all day.
We stay up late then come out to play.
What a gravy train we have
At the expense of, at the expense of,
At the expense of YOU!


I LOVE SCOUTING! With this being the 100 year anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, I definitely need to write more about this. I believe it is an inspired program, designed to guide boys to becoming great men. Thankfully, I get to serve on another Wood Badge staff again this summer, where we train the scout leaders in leadership skills they can then take back to the boys.

Back to Gilwell!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lest someone think our staffly fun to be pure silliness, it has been said that we train men to be boys so they can train boys to be men.

    ReplyDelete