Sunday, January 20, 2013

Scripture Study and a Study Tool

I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but at the start of December Jamie challenged anyone in our family that wanted to to read the entire standard works and Jesus the Christ in a year.  I admit I went into panic mode and told him there's no way I have time to do that, but trying to have a "Can Do!" attitude, below the surface somewhere I kept thinking about how it could work.

I finally decided that while I can't do the whole thing at this point in my life, I can do the Old Testament (I've been wanting to), Doctrine and Covenants (Sunday School topic this year), and Jesus the Christ.  We're reading the Book of Mormon as a family like always, so I'm counting that.  New Testament will have to wait until next year.

I'm actually doing pretty good!  (Until this week, to be explained in a bit.)  It's been a long time since I read the Old Testament, and I really loved Genesis and Exodus.  And so exciting to learn things in the Old Testament, then read the Book of Mormon and have my eyes opened to all the Old Testament-ness there too.  Every part of my scripture study has been so much more exciting and I'm learning so much.

Leviticus . . . not as exciting.  UNTIL, one night I opened up the Citation Index app (also available online here) and would read what prophets and apostles have said about different verses there.  That's why I'm behind now, because not only am I reading the chapter, but I'm reading that as well, and documenting parts of that in my scriptures or study journal.  In a way I wish I had been doing that all along, but I would probably be way more behind too.  Such a blessing to have that as a study tool.

And maybe staying home with a sick one from church today will give me the time I need to get back on track...

I remember hearing people say they study their scriptures for an hour a day, and thinking that it's not possible  at this time of my life.  Amazing how a goal and people working that goal with you can make it happen.  And thankful for a wonderful priesthood leader that threw out the challenge.

1 comment: