Monday, May 19, 2008

No School?

With school winding down up the street, Adam asked me the other day when school would be done for us too.

"Sooo," I asked him, "just because it gets hot outside we're going to stop going to the library?"

"No," he replied.

"So we can go to the library, but we won't read the books we check out anymore?"

"No."

"Well, we read a lot of other great books together. Are we going to stop that?"

"No." By this time he had a grin on his face.

"Well then, I'm not exactly sure I know what you're asking me?"

He just chuckled and went on to some other topic.

Today was just a really, really nice day. Nothing too out of the ordinary except that Adam pitched a baseball while I was catching that whammed me in the leg (I've got some nice bruises forming). We had a picnic outside under the quakies and read in the shade for a while. Just nice. It's all reminding me of some of the fun things we did last summer, like making candy with mint leaves. During the picnic Melanie asked me when "Do a Good Turn" day is this year, which is funny since she had such a fine experience last year. I told her even if there isn't a big deal about it this year, we'll still celebrate.

"School" in the summer is definitely different, but learning nonetheless. I've probably mentioned it before, but that's one of the biggest lessons I want my kiddos to learn - that learning happens all the time, not just in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I miss quakies. We don't have them here!

    We are taking a summer off from the workbooks. I hope their math won't suffer. We're going to do more reading, learning about the stars, the birds, the plants. I'm excited about it!

    ReplyDelete