Tuesday, March 11, 2008

P.S. on Time

Okay, so I wrote that last post, went to work on some jewelry orders (Easter is coming) and couldn't stop thinking about time. So here are a few more thoughts.

We know we all have the same amount of time, and that it is our choice on how we use it. Yes we are busy, but I doubt there is anyone out there that doesn't have SOME free time they have a choice over.

During my brother's 2nd tour of duty in Afghanistan I remember something my sis-in-law (his wife) said about the soldiers - that what they do with their free time largely determines who they are when they get back. I know two people that made poor choices with that time, and they and their families have suffered because of it. Every letter we got from my brother was inspiring. I know he spent his time well.

How am I using my time?

We give our lives to that which we give our time.


With so many people demanding my time, I've tried to cut out more and more extras that I know don't benefit me or my family. Some of those are actually things, because it takes time to take care of things, and I've noticed a big difference because of their absence. I've also cut out some time wasters, and again I've noticed a difference. Unfortunately, other things are always trying to jump in to fill the void.

A cluttered life is a life that you do not have control of. It is a life in which the things you have surrounded yourself with, and allow to use up your time, are controlling you and negatively influencing your happiness and eternal progress.


I've heard in so many instances that when you're trying to get rid of a bad habit, you need to replace it with a good habit. I didn't think about that applying until now, but I've had some not so busy afternoons when the house is decently clean, the kids aren't needing me for a few moments, and I find myself wondering what to do with myself. My first inclination is to use that time to study something or to read, and it's always a pleasure, knowing I'm doing it without taking away from anything else. I must admit that the computer is always a draw and it's easy to rationalize that I need to check on orders and such. But being honest to myself, a time waster.

A mother should never allow herself to become so involved with extras that she finds herself neglecting her divine role.


(He shares more on mothers and fathers, but you can look that up.)

Are my 'basics' being taken care of? Are the things I truly value the first things I spend my time on? I truly believe, more than ever, that I can have help answering this, and making changes as necessary.

Quotes from Elder William R. Bradford, "Unclutter Your Life." I plan on reading his talk a lot more closely.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and even printed out the talk to read sometime. It hasn't happened yet! I definitely spend too much time on the computer.

    Whenever you blog, it always seems to hit home for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete